FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DUCT CLEANING
Why do I need my air ducts cleaned?
Most people think that the air quality in their home is healthy. Unfortunately, research has shown that poor indoor air quality is quite common in our homes. One factor that can influence air quality is contaminants residing in our duct systems. Pollen, dust, pet dander, mold, bacteria and other contaminants that have accumulated in our duct systems can affect air quality. Having your ducts cleaned is a great way to improve indoor air.
If you have one or more of the following conditions, you should have your ducts cleaned annually:
- You can see particles, such as dust, floating in the air
- There are smokers in the home
- You have pets in the household
- The area that you live in is known for its high pollen count
- The area where you live has high levels of moisture or humidity
- You have recently completed a home renovation project or have just purchased a new construction home
- Frequently use chemical cleaning products
- The home has suffered flood damage
- You live near industries that emit a lot of smoke and other pollutants
- There are rodents such as mice and rats running through the ducts
Contaminants in your ducts can affect your health. As the particles blow through the home, occupants are at a high risk of inhaling them. This can lead to health problems such as asthma and other respiratory illnesses, sinus problems, constant coughing and sneezing, severe allergies, headaches, and sleep problems.
What are the Benefits?
1) Good for your Heating/Cooling System: Most duct system failures occur because of an accumulation of dust and dirt. By cleaning your ducts, your system will be more efficient which will lower your heating/cooling costs. The EPA states that, 'a buildup of .042 inches of dirt on heating or cooling coil can result in a decrease in efficiency of 21%.'
2) Healthier Environment: Cleaner air helps reduce the incidents of lung problems such as asthma. Your sinuses will clear and you will not be constantly breathing and coughing. You will generally feel better. You will also not be breathing in bacteria, fungi, and other hazardous microorganisms. Your house will stay cleaner because there will be less dust and dirt on the floor and furniture. Your pets will be healthier and breathe easier.
3) Healthier Children: If you have children, you know that they need to eat healthy and get regular exercise so they can grow to be healthy adults. Because children's immune systems are developing, they are at a higher risk of illnesses. Having clean indoor air will help them breathe easier and stay healthy.
4) High Risk Individuals: People who already have a health condition such as asthmatics and the elderly will benefit from having clean air ducts. They will breathe better and the risk of developing a respiratory illness will be reduced.
How do I know which professional to choose?
When choosing a duct cleaning service provider, make sure they are licensed and specialize in air duct cleaning. According to the EPA: 'A careless or inadequately trained service provider can damage your ducts or heating and cooling system, possibly increasing your heating and air conditioning costs or forcing you to undertake difficult and costly repairs or replacement.' Another reason to choose Eager Beaver Duct Cleaning!
Once your air ducts have undergone a thorough cleaning by a trained professional, you will quickly notice the change as you will find yourself breathing healthier air. We all want to do our part to keep the environment clean. Because we spend so much time in our homes, it just makes sense to have clean air.